Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Famous Five Stages

Ever since my wife died four years ago, I have had  questions about the five stages of grief that the counselors talk about. They are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.  They came from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross.  Her 1969 book, "On Death and Dying," made her name a household word.  We still hear about her today.


I was thinking, is there something wrong with me?  If I experienced those stages I got them in the wrong order and I'm not sure I went through any of them.  Except maybe acceptance,  which isn't really a stage for me.

This is one reason why I have so far avoided the various grief support groups. I'm not sure I want to hear about how others deal with death. I have read lots of personal posts and articles, some from friends. They  leave me with that same nagging question.  Am I doing it wrong?
Intellectually I know the answer.  There is no right or wrong way.  Read the comment from a person who worked with Dr. Ross.  Very interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I am a Hospice nurse. I spent time with Dr. Ross. She told me that "I wish I had never written those stages." " There is so much more to it and people don't go through those stages in order. "

    ReplyDelete